The courses of Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering program at the University of Rajshahi are designed to emphasize on a strong foundation in Physics, Mathematics, Statics, Dynamics and Chemistry followed by a through coverage of basic Civil Engineering courses such as Engineering Mechanics, Engineering Materials, Details of Construction, Design of Concrete and Steel Structures, Fluid Mechanics, Irrigation and Flood Control Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Analysis and Design, Hydraulics etc. so that they can
- Able to undertake planning, design, construction, operations and maintenance of urban and rural infrastructure by applying his/her knowledge in all stages of Civil Engineering and inter disciplinary projects.
- Able to acquire and apply knowledge of Mathematics, basic Science and Engineering fundamentals to solve complex Civil and Construction Engineering problems;
- Able to utilize the system and find out proper solution to make it sustainable for public health and safety, cultural, social and environmental considerations;
- Able to investigate and solve complex problems using research knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data and synthesis of information to provide valid conclusion in complex Structural Design of buildings and bridges;
- Able to apply reasoning based on contextual knowledge in professional engineering practice to assess social, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities;
- Able to communicate effectively on difficult engineering activities, not only with the engineers but also with the community at large;
- Able to function effectively as an individual and in group with the capacity to be a leader or member in multi-disciplinary settings;
- Able to recognize the need to undertake independent and life-long learning in continual technological development;
- Able to apply knowledge of engineering, business acumen, management principles and entrepreneurship in multidisciplinary environments as a member and leader in a team.
The courses designed for B.Sc. in Civil Engineering consist of 161 credits distributed over eight semesters in four academic years. Each academic year is divided into two semesters (odd & even) each of duration not less than 13 weeks (65 working days). There shall be final examinations at the end of each semester. The medium of answer in all examinations will be English. The theoretical examination of courses shall be of 3 hours duration. An academic schedule for an academic year shall be announced for general notification before the start of the academic year, on the prior approval of the academic committee.